With living so close to Washington, DC our family usually visits the city and than returns home. However, it has been on my bucket list to stay downtown. There are a few times in the year that staying in hotel would be really fun and convenient. One being during the holidays season; especially for New Years Eve since that is my birthday! Another great time to stay would be during a convention such as Awesome Con. I can’t tell you how much easier it makes things with parking and going with kids. The other time I would like to stay is for Forth of July; the fireworks displays are amazing from the city view. We had the opportunity to stay at the Embassy Suites Washington D.C.- Convention Center by Hilton for Christmas and were impressed. This family friendly hotel set centrally in the Penn Square district, is now our go to place to stay in DC. I can’t wait to return again to check more stays off my bucket list. Here’s a look at why Embassy Suites is DC’s number one family hotel.
TOP REASONS TO STAY
- For one thing, Embassy Suites offers spacious accommodations that feel like apartments — kitchenettes included at an affordable price; so that it feels more like a home away from home. I love that were were able to get a room with a large living room that had a pull out couch with an additional on suite with two king sized beds. Our family of five was able to spread out comfortably.
- The rooms are non-smoking so smell fresh, clean and are hypoallergenic. The rooms not only smell great but look great too. The hotel definitely has a updated sleek look that is calming and refreshing.
- Breakfast is always free! The continental breakfast here was on point. They have a large hot breakfast selection, as well as a omelet bar in which you can have a gourmet omelet made by a chef. There is something for everyone, even the pickiest of eaters. From fresh fruit to pancakes and cereal to muffins you are sure to leave with a happy full tummy.
- No hotel would be complete with out a pool! This hotel offers a wonderful all season in-door pool. The pool is only about four foot deep, so it is perfect for little ones to play in. The pool has tons of seating for relaxing by the pool and complimentary pool towels for drying off.
- The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted and checked in quickly. Our luggage taken care of and car valet parked.
- The property is just steps from DC attractions like the White House, National Mall and China Town. Not to mention only three blocks to be exact from the metro station.
- The hotel has both the kids and parents in mind with evening receptions. Including happy hour free drinks for the adults. And games and snacks perfect for the kiddos!
- Most hotel restaurants aren’t much to write home about. However, we actual really enjoyed the BrickStones Kitchen and Bar. Did you know their pizza crust is imported from Italy?
- While we aren’t pet owners, I found it great that they are a pet-friendly hotel. So if you have a four legged friend in tow you will be delighted to know they are welcome too.
MUST SEE IN DC
Visiting the nations capital can be fun for all ages. There is a plethora of family things to do! From museums to national parks and amazing restaurants to live entertainment; DC city offers endless possibilities for the whole family.
- When visiting during the holiday season. Be sure to visit the White House eclipse. This is where the national tree lighting display is. Another lovely place to go in DC during the holiday is The Botanical Gardens. There is a really cool holiday toy train setup on display.
- Visiting the Smithsonian Institute Museums is ideal any time of year. Enjoy free admission into these spectacular museums. For younger audiences, I recommend the Museum of Natural History, the African American History and Culture Museum and the Air and Space Museum.
- While the Spy Museum, Museum of Illusion and The Museum of the Bible cost money to enter, they are highly recommended.
- When visiting during warmer months, visiting the National Zoo can be a lot of fun. The zoo is has free admittance so it’s a affordable and entertaining option.
- Tour the monuments and memorials.
- Be sure to catch a show. The Kennedy Center, Warner Theater and National Theater all have year round programs and Broadway shows.
- Be sure to visit in August for Awesome Con! Our kids love it!
- Coming in April! Don’t miss the Cherry Blossoms Festival!
HOTEL INFORMATION & TIPS
Embassy Suites Washington, DC- Convention Center
Address: 900 10th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 739-2001
- Download the Hilton app for contactless check in and early room selection.
- Save trunk space, if you have a baby or toddler, borrow a crib or pack-n-play instead of bringing one.
- Don’t forget your swim gear (bathing suite, goggles, flip flops and pool toy.)
***Thank you Embassy Suites for inviting us to stay at your hotel! All information provided in this article is my own non-biased opinion. The Playful Parent was not paid to write this article; this vacationing guide was created to help families plan trips that promote learning through play and family bonding.***