Our family couldn’t be more excited that Awesome Con is hosting this years event in person! We first attended Awesome Con as a family in 2018, and it is now one of our favorite annual events to attend. Our 2022 passes are purchased, cosplay costumes are picked out and a bucket list of scheduled activities are being mapped out. I hope that this years article will help families in their planning by offering tips and tricks for attending this amazing family friendly event.
WHAT IS AWESOME CON
Awesome Con is a comic convention that comes to Washington, DC each year to showcase all aspects of geekdom and pop culture; with a wide assortment of comic books, collectibles, toys, games, original art, cosplay, and more. This year the event will take place at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center June 3-5, 2022. Awesome Con welcomes the whole family, with three days of events and activities perfect to share with the kids as they have incorporated Awesome Con Jr for the fifth year in a row. Awesome Con Jr is a family-focused section within Awesome Con. Awesome Con Jr will provide hours of fun with entertaining and educational programs just for kids including interactive opportunities, a kids costume parade, and more!
FAVORITE ACTIVITIES FROM YEARS PAST
Much of the entertaining for the kids is in the exhibit hall in the block of aisles designated for Awesome Con Jr. Check the schedule for special guests, characters and events so that you don’t miss out on the fun things happening in this area. There are some great booths in years past that I hope to see again this year. Here is a look at activities to expect.
- Hands on activity centers that engage young minds.
- Art programs including; drawing lessons, contests and more.
- Meet your favorite characters.
- Attend workshops of interest.
- Get moving and grooving in the movement zone.
- Visit booths and get free swag and enter to win cool door prizes!
- Check out the stage for entertainment and educational programs.
- Be prepared to find toys to take home.
- Visit museum and learn about movie costumes and props.
- Investigate Robotics!
- Check out the gaming room! Try out new video games or play your favorites in the arcade. There is a board game room too!
- Have a goal: This is my biggest tip! When taking your kids you should consider what you want the experience to be about. Check out the map and schedule of events to pick a few things you hope to do. It’s impossible to do everything, especially with little ones in tow. Having a plan before going will make your trip less stressful and more enjoyable.
- Go in Costume: Let your kids pick what they would like to go as. Cosplay is a huge part of the experience, going in costume really makes the trip special and more fun. You don’t have to spend a lot of time or money on them, simple homemade or store-bought costumes are fine.
- Bring a camera and take advantage of photo opportunities: Taking photos is one of the best parts. I love watching everyone in costume and I’ve noticed kids and even adults too get very excited about having their picture taken with favorite characters. You will find that there is a huge sense of community and many fans dressed in costume are happy to pose for a shot.
- Pack Snacks & Drinks: The food at the convention hall is insanely expensive and lines for food can be very long. I suggest throwing some water bottles or juice boxes and some easy snacks like granola bars, string cheese and fruit for snacks. Be sure to eat a good meal before going; while there eat what you’ve packed than head out to a nearby restaurant for dinner.
- Lost Plan: Before entering the hall, have a pre-designated meeting space in case you get separated.
- Set a Spending Limit: Conventions are like a glorified shopping excursion. Remember to set a budget and limit to spending.
- Avoid becoming overwhelmed: conventions are huge. It is very crowded so be sure to pay attention to your little ones needs. If you notice they are becoming overwhelmed take a break in the quiet room or call it a day.
- Purchase tickets ahead of time: Be on the look out for coupon codes that make it free for kids ages 10 and under to attend the convention with an accompanying adult.
- Be open to meeting new friends. My little’s were so excited to find new friends with similar interests.
- Bring a permanent marker with you or ask for a market at registration. Once you get your pass write your name and phone number on your children’s badge just in case you should get separated. This is unlikely to happen; however, it’s always good to be prepared.
- Getting there: There are two good options when it comes to traveling to the Washington Convention Center. You can drive and park within a block from the convention center or take the metro into town. We parked in the garage under the Renaissance Hotel on 9th Street. You will spend about $15-$20 to park near the convention center. If you take the metro you will want to ride it to the Mt. Vernon Station on 7th street.
- Friday June 3, 2022: 1:00pm to 8:00pm
- Saturday June 4, 2022: 10:00am to 7:00pm
- Sunday June 5, 2022: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Location: Walter E. Washington Convention Center- 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW
Washington, DC 20001
Tickets: There are a variety of ticketing packages. This year there is a special kids pass that provides 3- Day admission for children aged 3 to 10 years old, for only $15. Daily admission price for adults start at $40 depending on which day you want to go or you can get a weekend 3-Day Pass for $85. Tickets must be purchased online in advanced. See link to purchase a pass.
Are you a pop-culture enthusiast? Comic books lover? Film fanatic? You wont want to miss Awesome Con 2022! One lucky winner will be randomly drawn to win a family pack of four – 3-Day Passes to attend Awesome Con 2022.
- LIKE the post
- COMMENT or post a GIF of your favorite Comic book character of all time!
- TAG a friend, maybe they will invite you to tag along with them if they win?
- Contest ends on May 6, 2022 at 12 p.m.
Update: We have a winner… Congratulations Siobhan P.
***Thank you Awesome Con for donating tickets. The Playful Parent is not paid to write articles or given money for affiliate links. All information presented is my own unbiased opinion. Pictures and content are intellectual property of The Playful Parent. ***