Ladybugs Alive is truly amazing… I have never been to anything like it! This whimsical sunflower maze is like exploring a living labyrinth. The closest thing in comparison is a corn maze; however, image walking among beautiful sunflowers and butterflies. Ladybugs Alive just opened this weekend, it’s blooms have been planted in the shape of a leaf this year with twists and turns that walk you among the yellow flowers. Join me as I take you on a sneak peek of southern Maryland’s sunflower maze.
When you arrive, walk down to the beautiful rustic barn to check-in. Don’t forget to use your coupon provided in this article. You will be greeted and given a map and scavenger hunt to follow on your journey through the sunflower maze. You start your adventure at the enter sign; from there you get to navigate your way through twists and turns until you make your way to the exit.
The level of difficulty was moderate. I felt like it wasn’t too simple, yet not overly complicated either. We got tricked a few times and of course made wrong turns here and there. However, my two boys and I were able to navigate our way to the end! Along the way there were interesting facts to read and of course the boys had a blast finding different birds, insects and butterflies from the scavenger hunt.
There is a half way point where you can sit under a shaded tree and quench your thirst with complimentary water. After a refreshing break you can either re-enter the maze and make your way to the exit or you can walk back down the dirt path to the beginning.
I was impressed by all the extra activities available to do with the price of admission.
Bring your camera or phone to capture fun photo opportunities! The local artist who painted the backdrop did a beautiful job.
It was pure genius that they made a life sized memory game. My four year old did a great job making matches. With my two year old we practiced vocabulary and identified the different bugs.
We got to play a few round of good old fashioned corn hole.
I really enjoyed exploring the butterfly garden. The flowers are at their peak bloom and are more beautiful than ever.
Every year they add something new! This year there is a bee exhibit with bee hive. Check their Facebook page, there may be live demonstrations on particular days.
- Avoid wearing open toed shoes, tennis shoes are the best for keeping your feet from getting too dusty.
- I also recommend wearing a sun hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- The best time of the day to go is in the evening around 6 PM. This is for a few reasons. One reason is that it’s cooler in temperature. Another reason is there are actually less bugs. The biggest reason is that watching the sun set under the sunflowers is breath taking!
- Use the 20% coupon that Ladybugs Alive partnered with The Playful Parent to provide.
- If you are worried about going because of bees and bugs and such..don’t be! Based on my experience, there weren’t many at all. The ones we could see stayed up high in the tops of the flowers.
- Go opening weekend July 1-2, the flowers are in peak bloom. With the lack of rain there is the chance the flowers might dry out early this year.
Address: 37260 Manor Rd, Chaptico, Maryland
Phone: (240) 925-4415
Pricing: Kids ages 4 and under FREE/Kids ages 5 to 10 $5/Ages 10 and up $10
Hours: Wednesday-Friday 12:00 PM – 8:30 PM/ Saturday & Sunday 10:00 AM – 8:30 PM
***The Playful Parent is not paid to promote Ladybugs Alive, I write articles to help families find fun and educational things to do. All information is my own non-biased opinion.***