If you have a train enthusiast, or just want a way to relish in the breath taking scenery of Northern Maryland; than I highly recommend hopping aboard the Walkersville Southern Railroad. The Walkersville Southern Railroad features a quaint train station, exciting excursion train rides and a historic museum, located just a few miles north of Frederick, Maryland. Enjoy riding along in a gorgeous vintage 1920’s passenger car; while you take in the scenic ride through historic Monocacy Valley.
Expect a little over an hours length train ride that takes you about four miles of track going north bond to Liberty Road. The railroad has a few locomotives in operation. While the steam train we had during our excursion was small; it did a swell job at pushing and pulling five cars the full length of the trip. The trip features a few landmarks that are beautiful; my favorite being passing over a bridge with a view of the Monocacy River.
2022-2023 EVENTS & EXCURSIONS SCHEDULE
The Walkersville Southern Railroad is very family friendly station. In fact, they have a handful of fun programs for kids each season. This summer they had a variety of events including; Wizard Express, Super Hero and Teddy Bear Picnic train rides. The following programs are schedule for September-November 2022:
- Autumn Excursion- Dates vary between September 27, 2022 – October 30, 2022
- Dinner Train- Dates vary between September 27, 2022 – November 5, 2022
- Jesse James Day- Dates vary between September 27, 2022 – October 15, 2022
- Murder Mystery Dinner- September 27, 2022 – November 19, 2022
- Santa Train- September 27, 2022 – November 19, 2022
- It is suggested to arrive for your train ride about 30-45 minutes before departure to ensure you have your tickets and are ready for boarding.
- Bring along some train books or toys if you have a little one in tow for entertainment during the ride.
- Be sure to visit the train museum across the street, which is free admission with purchased train ride ticket.
- The ticket both has a gift shop so be prepared for the littles to ask for a fun souvenir. We like to collect stamped pennies; however, this train station didn’t have a penny press.
- Bathrooms are available on site. However, keep in mind they are potter potties.
- Make the trip a weekend getaway. Consider visiting Sophie & Madagan’s playground on nice weathered days or Summers Farms in the fall. The Frederick area also has a lot of historic sites and museums.
Location: 34 W. Pennsylvania Ave. Walkersville, MD 21793
Hours: May-August Saturday daily excursions at 11:00am and 2:00pm. September- October Saturday and Sunday excursions at 11:00am and 2:00pm.
Cost: Tickets range in price $
Age Range: Recommended for all ages