Summer is definitely here….You can tell by the weather that has been scorching hot this past week!!! Finding a pool to stay cool in is a huge necessity in order to beat the heat. Calvert County has some amazing pools that are perfect for families who enjoy summer fun in the sun! They have three facilities including; Kingslanding in Huntingtown, Edward T. Hall Aquatic Center in Prince Frederick and Cove Point in Lusby. In this article I will highlight information on Cove Point Pool.
I’m sure you are wondering what makes this pool unique? Well, it not just your ordinary pool; this facility offers an array of aquatic entertainment. I was astound by how much Cove point has to offer. There is a large pool with a shallow end for splashing around in and a lap lane and deep end with a one meter and a half meter diving board for the more advanced swimmers. I was excited to find a children’s wade pool for the little ones that is shaded and gated in. Which I might add, is a great safety feature and perfect for parents sanity. I’m sure what most of the kids love most though is the leisure pool with exquisite water features. Stay cool under the umbrella rainfalls or get splashed by dumping buckets. They even have a obstacle course for those more adventurous. I think what’s most popular in this section are the slides. There is a larger set of slides for those who can swim and are 48 inches and taller. Don’t worry the little ones have a slide option too! There are a pair of slides perfect for those who don’t meet the height requirement for the larger slide.
I don’t know what it is about swimming, but it always leads to working up an appetite. There is a small concession stand on site with a variety of affordable snacks such as; $2 hot dogs, nachos, $5 personal pan pizzas, good humor ice-cream, snow cones and beverages. There are plenty of picnic tables by the concession stand to sit down at and relax will you munch on some tasty treats.
The Playful Parent gives this pool two thumbs up. I was pleased with how clean, well maintained and family friendly Cove Point is. You can tell they have families best interest in mind by the many accommodations put in place. They have a family style changing rooms in addition to locker rooms. You will find the family changing rooms locked right men’s room exit. Inside you will find a handicap accessible shower, toilet and sink. If you have multiple little ones that you are trying to rinse, dry, change and keep in one, than this area is perfect for your family! All along the pool area you will find complimentary lounge chairs for sitting back and soaking in some sun. It’s great that you don’t have to worry about bringing your own chairs.
- Keep in mind that Adult only swim occurs every quarter till the hour. However, the children’s wade pool is still open during adult swim. This is a great time to re-hydrate and re-apply sunscreen.
- Kids are permitted to wear coast guard approved life vests or puddle jumpers in the pool. Just keep in mind they have to be removed in order to go down the slides for safety reasons. We brought our own water safety gear; however, the pool has life jacket style flotation’s that you can borrow complimentary.
- Cove Point Pool will be closing early at 4:45 PM on the following dates due to swim meets: June 28, July 5, July 12 and July 17. I would recommend leaving by 4:30 PM on these dates; it can get a bit hectic in the changing room during meets.
- Guests are allowed to bring one 10′ x 10′ pop-up tent per family. Must be put up along the fence line, room permitting.
- To save money look into summer passes and punch card passes. See link on pass information for details.
- Check out Cove Point Park while you are there. The playground is awesome.
Lusby, MD 20657
FACILITY HOURS OF OPERATION (6/15 – 9/3)
- Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (Lap Swim only)
- Monday – Friday 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Adult (18-59)- $6/ Military $5
- Senior (60+)- $4/ Military $3
- Child (3-17)- $4/ Military $3
- Infant (1-2)- FREE/Military FREE
- Adult (18-59)- $8/ Military $7
- Senior (60+)- $6/ Military $5
- Child (3-17)- $6/ Military $5
- Infant (1-2)- $3/Military $2