We had the chance to attend Awesome Con for the first time last June. Out of all the conventions we have attended, Awesome Con is by far the most family friendly. I’m excited to release this guide in time to help families start planing for Awesome Con 2018 which will be in DC March 30, 2018 – April 1, 2018.
I’m stoked that they are returning the ever popular Awesome Con Jr that premiered for the first time last year. Awesome Con Jr provides hours of fun with entertaining and educational programs designed especially for kids.
Last year and returning this year were amazing meet and greet and photo opportunities with Nickelodeon’s hit preschool characters PAW Patrol and Shimmer and Shine as well as The Emoji Movie and How to Train Your Dragon. Not only did we get some pretty awesome photos with our favorite characters like Toothless and Chase but Nickelodeon also handed out some awesome goodies. The boys were excited that we came home with coloring books.
The LEGO building zone and featured workshops provided hours of entertaining. I was happy that they had a schedule of events just for the little ones. They even had a kids costume parade and contest which was adorable. It’s great to attend an event that encourages creative play while having lots of fun.
TOP TEN THINGS YOU WONT WANT TO MISS AT AWESOME CON 2018!!!!
1. Taking your littles for FREE!!! Kids passes are FREE, just use code: ACJRPR at http://www.awesomecon.com/tickets.
2. Don’t miss heading to the Awesome Con Jr section which is dedicated to family fun and activities for kids.
3. Meeting your favorite characters such Buddy from the Dinosaur Train, Paddington Bear, Ranger Rick, characters from Dragon Ball Z, and even the Easter Bunny at booth #221. There are tons of opportunities to get your picture with your favorite superhero’s, villains and icons so bring your camera.
4. Stopping by amazing booths!!! Don’t miss Dreamworks animation for kids crafts and freebies featuring Trolls and Spirit Riding. Also recommend PBS Kids booth #313, Spy Museum, Medical Times and Escape Velocity.
5. Playing video games for FREE in show room an arcade that is out of this world!
6. Taking part in a drawing contest hosted by Art Way Alliance.
7. Joining in the fun on Sunday to participate in a Easter Egg Hunt and meeting the Easter Bunny.
8. Getting dressed up and taking part in a costume parade.
9. Taking a tour through Stan Lee’s museum to see his artwork and creations first hand.
10. Checking out the board game room with games for all ages and interests.
For more information and Kids program schedule visit: http://awesome-con.com/awesome-con-jr/
- Have a goal: This is my biggest tip! When taking your kids you should consider what you want the experience to be about. Check out the map and schedule of events to pick a few things you hope to do. It’s impossible to do everything, especially with little ones in tow. Having a plan before going will make your trip less stressful and more enjoyable.
- Go in Costume- Let your kids pick what they would like to go as. Cosplay is a huge part of the experience, going in costume really makes the trip special and more fun. You don’t have to spend a lot of time or money on them, simple homemade or store-bought costumes are fine.
- Bring a camera and take advantage of photo opportunities: Taking photos is one of the best parts. I love watching everyone in costume and I’ve noticed kids and even adults too get very excited about having their picture taken with favorite characters. You will find that there is a huge sense of community and many fans dressed in costume are happy to pose for a shot.
- Pack Snacks & Drinks: The food at the convention hall is insanely expensive and lines for food can be very long. I suggest throwing some water bottles or juice boxes and some easy snacks like granola bars, string cheese and fruit for snacks. Be sure to eat a good meal before going; while there eat what you’ve packed than head out to a nearby restaurant for dinner.
- Lost Plan: Before entering the hall, have a pre-designated meeting space in case you get separated.
- Set a Spending Limit: Conventions are like a glorified shopping excursion. Remember to set a budget and limit to spending.
- Avoid becoming overwhelmed: conventions are huge. It is very crowded so be sure to pay attention to your little ones needs. If you notice they are becoming overwhlemed take a break or call it a day.
- Purchase tickets ahead of time: Be on the look out for coupon codes that make it free for kids ages 10 and under to attend the convention with an accompanying adult.
AWESOME CON INFORMATION
March 30- April 1, 2018
Friday: 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 7:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Walter E. Washington Convention Center- 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW
Washington, DC 20001
Cost: Adult Admission $35-50 day pass & $75 3-Day Pass/ Kids FREE with code
Kids Discount Code: ACJRPR
- The giveaway is open now through March 16, 2018 12:00 PM. One lucky family will be randomly drawn to win four tickets to Sundays Awesome Con, keep in mind kids under 10 are FREE with code AWESOMEJR.
- LIKE the post and COMMENT your favorite comic book character.
- In order to win contestants MUST be a Playful Parent fan.
- This giveaway is open to residents in the Southern Maryland area who are 18 years and older. Don’t have to have young kids in the house to win. You can be parents, grandparents or even aunties and uncles to win.
- SHARE the love with friends by tagging and posting this on your page (NOT Mandatory.)
***This contest was brought to you by Awesome Con and The Playful Parent; Facebook is not affiliated with this giveaway.***