This guide was written to help families plan out a special and stress free trip to Kings Dominion this season. I hope to shed some light on what WinterFest is all about, provide information on what rides are open and what to expect; as well as share some useful tips.
WHAT IS WINTERFEST
WinterFest is a annual event held during the holiday season at Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia. This years festivities take place November 25, 2022 through January 1, 2023. The park features extravagant holiday light displays, live stage shows, revolving street performances, Wonderland parade, snow flake lake ice skating, festive food, and rides that are sure to get you into the holiday spirit.
During WinterFest, Kings Dominion is transformed into a magical winter wonderland. The first thing that you will see is the beautiful 300 foot tall Eiffel tower tree that changes colors and dances to Christmas music. Everywhere you look are beautiful lights. The enter park is adorned with millions of lights that illuminate the walkways and rides.
RIDES OPEN DURING WINTERFEST
Here is a list of the rides open during WinterFest 2022:
- Bad Apple
- Blue Ridge Tollway
- Flying Eagle
- Twisted Timber
- Wave Swinger
- Planet Snoopy: Charlie Brown Wind Up, Flying Ace, Flying Balloons, Great Pumpkin Roller Coaster, Kite Eating Tree, Linus Launcher, Lucy Crabby Caddies, Lucy Tugboat, Peanut 500, Snoopy Junction, Snoopy Space Buggy & Woodstock Whirly Bird.
EXTRA ACTIVITIES AVAILABLE
- Skating: The 22,000 square foot ice skating rink located on the International street fountain (also known as “I Street”) allows visitors to be able to skate.
- North Pole Post Office: Guests can take a picture with Santa or even write a letter.
- Mrs. Clause’s Kitchen: Kids and the kid at heart are able to decorate huge sugar cookies with icing and sprinkles. Once complete, be sure to take a quick picture before eating them!
- Petting Zoo: Don’t miss stopping by the stable with live animals! Feed and pet these adorable creatures that include: sheep, goats, camels and donkeys.
- Snow in the Park: While walking through the night, notice snow dropping from sky as you frolic through the park! Really it is just soap bubbles, however little details like these help bring the holiday atmosphere to life.
- Shows: Be sure to check the show schedule to catch a entertaining live show on stage. The tree lighting ceremony and parade are another fun thing for kids to watch. If you are worried your kids don’t have the attention span for a full show stop and listen to the street performers.
TIPS AND TRCKS
- Timing– Check the park hours before you go. Park opens later than spring/summer season. The evening we went, the park was open 5PM-10PM.
- Save money- One way to save money is to invest in a season pass. This is a worth while investment since the park offers phenomenal full year round events.
- Stroller Friendly– This is a fully paved, stroller and handicap accessible park.
- Family restroom areas– There are a few family restrooms. The one that I was able to test out and approve is over by The Bad Apple and another in the middle of Planet Snoopy.
- Food– Theme park foods can be expensive. However, you could always eat dinner before coming and than splurge on some tasty snacks like cupcakes, popcorn, funnel cake or board walk fries! If you go with eating in the park, consider getting a meal deal online or if you have a large family order an entire pizza.
- Parade– Don’t miss the parade it so cool! We found a great spot to view was where the entrance to Planet Snoopy meets International. Photo above left shows our spot.
- Prepare for lines: The day we went lines only lasted 5-15 minutes. Be prepared to entertain your little one during the wait. Bring bubbles or purchase a fun light toy at the front of the park early on so that they can play with it in line.
KINGS DOMINION – WINTERFEST
Address: 16000 Theme Park Way, Doswell, VA 23047
Phone: (804) 876-5000
***The Playful Parent does not receive payment for featuring attractions. All opinions are my own; I like to share experiences and information so that parents have resources on fun family outings. Discounted or complimentary tickets are an advantage but not a requirement. The Playful Parent is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that advocates learning through play and promotes family bonding, all information and photographs are intellectual property of TPP. I hope that these tips help with your planning so that you have a great time during your next Kings Dominion Visit! Thank you for reading…Play, Learn, Grow!***
Leave a Reply