GoldPetal Farms is truly amazing! This whimsical sunflower maze is like exploring a living labyrinth. The closest thing in comparison is a corn maze; however, image walking among beautiful sunflowers. Goldpetal Farms, previously known as Ladybugs Alive is opening today June 24, 2022. The owner has shared that he hopes to have a total of three mazes this year; each one opening up one at time now through late summer. The first maze sets the tone for it’s metamorphosis theme with the shape of a caterpillar. Goldpetal Farms is our favorite place to visit each summer; here’s a look at why.
Did you know that Goldpetal Farms is Southern Maryland’s ONLY living maze. GoldPetal Farms designs, plants and manages THREE unique mazes, providing about two months of beauty, nature and family fun. The first maze to open is in Chaptico. When you arrive at the Chaptico location follow the signs to park. Check-in at the large barn where you will be greeted and assisted in purchasing your tickets, than pointed in the right direction to the maze. You start your adventure at the enter sign; from there you get to navigate your own way through twists and turns until you find the way to the exit.
This year the blooms have been planted in honor of Monarch butterflies. Goldpetal Farms is a key location for our east coast migrating Monarchs and play a significant roll in their autumn journey south. Opening weekend is when the blooms have started to open. The flowers are projected to be at peak bloom towards mid-early July. The level of this years maze is a moderate difficulty level. The design is challenging enough to provide you with inquisitive fun without being overly complicated. Don’t worry if you make a few wrong turns here and there, just enjoy getting lost in the fun! Along the way you will find interesting facts to read, gorgeous flowers to see and nature to admire. You are sure to find lady bugs, butterflies and more hidden in the maze. Every year they add something new! Check their Facebook page, there may be special events or updated information.
- Avoid wearing open toed shoes, tennis shoes are the best for keeping your feet from getting too dusty.
- I also recommend wearing a sun hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- The best time of the day to go is in the evening around 6 PM. This is for a few reasons. One reason is that it’s cooler in temperature. Another reason is there are actually less bugs. however, the biggest reason is that watching the sun set under the sunflowers is breath taking!
- Use the 20% coupon that Goldpetal Farms partnered with The Playful Parent to provide. This is to help families have affordable fun.
- Yes this is kid friendly. There are tons of things to do included with admission: self guided maze, life sized yard games such as corn hole and memory.
- If you are worried about going because of bees and bugs and such…don’t be! Based on my experience, they will not bother you. The bumble bees and butterflies we could see stayed way up high in the tops of the flowers.
- Peek season this year should be early July for maze one this year. Follow their page to stay up to date on the status of the flowers.
- Learn and grow with extra activities about sunflowers. Try out this fun Playful-Math activity.
INFORMATION TO PLAN YOUR VISIT
Maze #1 Address: 37254 Manor Road Chaptico, MD 20621
Phone: (240) 925-4415
Pricing: Ages 7 and up $15/ Military $12/ Group 10 or more $8/Kids ages 6 and under FREE (Season passes available this year.)
Hours: Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 AM – 8:30 PM
One lucky fan will be randomly drawn to win a family of four passes to explore the amazing Goldpetal Farms Sunflower maze! Contest runs June 24, 2022 through July 1, 2022. To enter the giveaway see the following rules:
- LIKE the post
- COMMENT your favorite flower
- LIKE The Playful Parent and Goldpetal Farms Facebook Pages
- PLEASE SHARE! Please help us spread the word about this beautiful living labyrinth that GoldPetal Farms has worked so hard to create. (Not mandatory)
- The giveaway is not FB affiliated.
- Fans may enter once on each platform: Facebook, Instagram and Patreon.
Everyone is a winner!!! All Playful Parent fans can print or show a digital copy of this years coupon on your phone for a 20% discount. Coupon can be used on general admission or season passes June 28, 2022 through July 2, 2022.
***The Playful Parent is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps connect the community and provides free resources to families that advocate learning through play and promotes family bonding. The Playful Parent is not paid to promote GoldPetal Farms. All information is my own non-biased opinion. Don’t use content or photos without The Playful Parent’s permission. Support The Playful Parent by donating on Patreon. Be sure to stay connect on Facebook and Instagram.***