I’m excited to announce that Goldpetal Farms will open it’s sunflower maze this Father’s Day weekend at the first location in Morganza, Maryland. Words can’t express how amazing GoldPetal Farms truly is; it’s definitely something you have to experience in person. This whimsical sunflower maze is like exploring a living labyrinth. The closest thing in comparison is a corn maze; however, image walking among beautiful sunflowers. Join me as I take you on a sneak peek tour of southern Maryland’s sunflower maze.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Did you know that Goldpetal Farms is Southern Maryland’s ONLY living maze. GoldPetal Farms designs, plants and manages TWO unique mazes, providing about six weeks of beauty, nature and family fun. The first maze to open is in Morganza and the second maze to open will be in Chaptico, Maryland. When you arrive at the Morganza location follow the signs to park and check-in. You will be greeted and assisted in purchasing your tickers, than pointed in the right direction to the maze. You start your adventure at the enter sign; from there you get to navigate your own way through twists and turns until you find the way to the exit.
This year the blooms have been planted in honor of healthcare working heroes who have gone above and beyond during the pandemic.Opening weekend is when the blooms have started to open. The flowers are projected to be at peak bloom towards the end of June. The level of this years maze is a moderate difficulty level. The design is challenging enough to provide you with inquisitive fun without being overly complicated. Don’t worry if you make a few wrong turns here and there, just enjoy getting lost in the fun! Along the way you will find interesting facts to read, gorgeous flowers to see and nature to admire. You are sure to find lady bugs, butterflies and more hidden in the maze. Every year they add something new! Check their Facebook page, there may be special events or updated information.
GOLDPETAL FARMS INFORMATION
SPECIAL OPENING (Barring bad weather)
Saturday, June 20, 2020
5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Sunday, June 21, 2020
10:00 AM – 8:30 PM
Open every day EXCEPT Mondays
10:00 AM – 8:30 PM
25120 Colton Point Road, Morganza, MD 20660
Your map may show us in Morganza, Mechanicsville or Clements. **Points of Reference: We’re across street from Chopticon High School and on the Russell Bros. Farm property. Look for signs and banners. Once on the farm, drive past and around the greenhouses.
Admission: $8 per person, 7 and up (**special price until June 24). Kiddos 6 and under are free.
Pick-Your-Own-Sunflowers: $1 per stem PLUS Admission
***Keep in mind weather can effect season and hours of operation. Visit their Facebook page to stay updated.***
- Avoid wearing open toed shoes, closed toed shoes are the best for keeping your feet from getting too dusty. Tennis shoes and cowboy/cowgirl boots are the best!
- I also recommend wearing a sunglasses and hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- The best time of the day to go is in the evening around 6 PM. This is for a few reasons… One reason is that it’s cooler in temperature. Another reason is there are actually less bugs. The biggest reason is that watching the sun set under the sunflowers is breath taking!
- I’m working on a coupon deal that Goldpetal Farms will partner with The Playful Parent to provide Playful Parents with a discount. Check back because it will be coming soon.
- Come on special nights, The Playful Parent will partner to provide craft pick up days.
- If you are worried about going because of bees and bugs and such..don’t be! Based on my experience, they will not bother you. The ones we could see stayed way up high in the tops of the flowers and are harmless bugs that don’t typically bite like bumble bees and beetles.
- Peek season this year should be the last week of June this year. With the lack of rain there is the chance the flowers might dry out early so follow their page to stay up to date on the status of the flowers.
Every year for the past four years The Playful Parent has written a guide on GoldPetal Farms (formerly known as Ladybugs Alive.) This year however, is a little different than the previous years. Due to COVID-19 things have been a little uncertain with opening dates and procedures. After a lot of prayer, much deliberation and careful Splanning the sunflower maze will open this season. I wouldn’t recommend this activity if I didn’t feel like it was safe for families. Many procedures have been put in place so patrons can enjoy the sunflower maze while staying safe and healthy.
- The maze has been designed with wider paths to accommodate social distancing, with most paths being 6+ feet wide.
- Additional exits have been added in order to help people flow through the maze more efficiently.
- A larger cut your own flower garden is available this year, and visitors entering for photo shoots will be directed into this area to prevent overcrowding within the maze. This will provide a space for photographing with out taking up space in the maze.
- The maze is for small groups of visitors, offering a quaint and peaceful experience. It’s great that they have intentionally avoided a festival- or carnival-like atmosphere so visitors get the most of what nature has to offer.
One lucky fan will be randomly drawn to win a family of four passes to explore the amazing Goldpetal Farms Sunflower maze! Contest runs June 19-26, 2020. To enter the giveaway see the following rules:
- LIKE The Playful Parent and Goldpetal Farms Facebook Pages
- LIKE the post
- COMMENT your favorite flower
- SHARE the giveaway! Please help us spread the word about this beautiful living labyrinth that GoldPetal Farms has worked so hard to create.
- The giveaway is not FB affiliated.
***The Playful Parent is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps connect the community and provides free resources to families that advocate learning through play and promotes family bonding. The Playful Parent is not paid to promote GoldPetal Farms. All information is my own non-biased opinion. Content and photos belong to The Playful Parent.***