Living in the DMV area offers a lot of great options for things to do over Thanksgiving Weekend. The Holiday season is kicking off this weekend and many wonderful seasonal activities and events begin in Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. Here are some ideas of fun things to do in the DMV during the holiday weekend. Be sure to check websites or call first before attending an event to ensure there haven’t been changes.
HOLIDAY MEAL- DINNER FOR FAMILIES IN NEED
Here are some options for those who aren’t able to cook a Thanksgiving meal or be with family for what ever the reason and would to enjoy a warm meal in good company.
Galazio Restaurant– 6223 Crain Hwy, LaPlata, MD- Galazio Restaurant opens its doors for the fourth annual Thanksgiving dinner, celebrating family and the community of Southern Maryland. Donations are welcome to continue to grow this annual event, however, doors are open to all, free of charge. The annual event is named in honor of the first Galazio Thanksgiving volunteer, the late Carol Bisagni, a tireless champion of community service and helping those in need in the Washington metropolitan area for over 50 years.
Mt Harmony Methodist Church – Mt. Harmony Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church-155 E Mt Harmony Rd, Owings, Maryland 20736 FREE dinner on Thanksgiving.
J’s Soul Food Kitchen– Thanksgiving day dinner from 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM at 4451 Crain Hwy. White Plains, MD.
HOLIDAY TO GO
Dickey’s BBQ- Order your holiday feast today and stay stress free. Dickey’s located in Brandywine, MD and Dahlgren, VA.
Honey Baked Hams– (Waldorf) Whether it’s a ham, turkey, sides or desserts, you know you’ll be serving the best, without all the stress! (301) 638-0086
Mission BBQ– (St. Mary’s) Fresh-smoked, juicy Turkey Breasts. Homemade, handcrafted sides. Decadent, you-deserve-it desserts. And the best part? They’ll do the cooking! Call their Catering Pros now and ENJOY the holiday with family and friends. (301) 880-0857
Texas Road House– (LaPlata) Order rolls for your meal. They come ready to heat up in the oven with their famous whipped cinnamon butter. Put in your order, pick-up Wednesday Thanksgiving Eve. (301) 392-9471
Cynthia Ann Desserts- Don’t have time to bake a homemade pie? That’s okay pre-order and pick up your pie on Wednesday November 21, 2018 at the La Plata Farmers Market.
Chick-fil-A- Chick-fil-A is a family favorite of ours. We always make sure to get sweet tea and lemonade for our parties and sometimes a party platter too! Last day to pre-order trays is November 20, 2018 for November 21, 2018 pick-up. From chicken nuggets to fruit trays and sweet tea to chocolate chip cookies they have you covered.
Let someone else do the cooking this year! Enjoy a festive holiday meal with all the trimmings.
Sweet Grass at Colonial South– Surrats Road, Clinton, MD. Enjoy a Thanksgiving Day Brunch.
Small Business Saturday – Come out on Saturday November 24th and support La Plata’s amazing locally owned businesses. Shop Small is about more than just shopping at small businesses. … It’s an annual shopping tradition dedicated to supporting small businesses. Our storefronts are here all year long giving back to our community, this particular Saturday is our favorite shopping day of the year! Many businesses will have sales, giveaways and treats. Plus, pick up your passport from a participating business, and enter to win a $1,000 shopping spree! There are lots of fun activities through out the day for kids too.
Holiday Shopping Guide for Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia – I’m NOT big on shopping during the holiday weekend so check out Trip Savys guide for Thanksgiving holiday shopping. Here are some unique ideas of places to shop in the Washington, DC area.
Thursday, November 22
9:00am – Thanksgiving Day Parade on CBS (CBS)
9:00am – Macy’s 92nd Thanksgiving Day Parade (NBC)
12:00pm – National Dog Show (NBC)
2:00pm – Macy’s 92nd Thanksgiving Day Parade (NBC)
6:30pm – The Wizard of Oz (1939, Judy Garland) (TBS)
8:00pm – Christmas at Grand Valley (2018, Danica McKellar) (Hallmark)
8:00pm – The Christmas Contract (Lifetime)
8:45pm – The Wizard of Oz (1939, Judy Garland) (TBS)
10:00pm – ‘Tis the Season: A One Tree Hill Cast Reunion (Lifetime)Friday, November 23
7:30am – Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups (Freeform)
5:45pm – The Wizard of Oz (1939, Judy Garland) (TBS)
8:00pm – Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town (1970, Rankin/Bass) (ABC)
8:00pm – Frosty the Snowman (1969, Rankin/Bass) (CBS)
8:00pm – Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 cartoon) (NBC)
8:00pm – Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (2000) (CW)
8:00pm – Pride, Prejudice, and Mistletoe (2018, Lacey Chabert) (Hallmark)
8:00pm – Poinsettias for Christmas (Lifetime)
8:00pm – Love Actually (2003, Hugh Grant) (TBS)
8:30pm – Frosty Returns (1992) (CBS)
8:30pm – DreamWorks Trolls Holiday (NBC)
9:00pm – Magnum P.I. (CBS)
10:00pm – Hawaii Five-0 (CBS)
10:00pm – Every Other Holiday (Lifetime)
12:00am – Call Me Claus (Freeform)Saturday, November 24
8:30am – Beethoven’s Christmas Adventure (Freeform)
7:45pm – The Santa Clause (1994, Tim Allen) (Freeform)
8:00pm – Robbie the Reindeer: Hooves of Fire (CBS)
8:00pm – Christmas Everlasting (2018, Tatyana Ali) (Hallmark)
8:00pm – Every Day is Christmas (Lifetime)
8:30pm – Robbie the Reindeer: Legend of the Lost Tribe (CBS)
9:00pm – The Story of Santa Claus (CBS)
9:50pm – The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (Tim Allen) (Freeform)
10:00pm – Christmas Harmony (Lifetime)
See The Playful Parent community calendar or Winter Holiday Guide for more details for other fun festive events and activities. Here are a few fun ideas…
- Botanic Garden – 100 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC at the foot of the U.S. Capitol. During the holiday season, the U.S. Botanic Garden presents a unique exhibit featuring model trains and incredible replicas of Washington, DC’s most famous buildings and monuments.
- Cut Your Own Christmas Tree in the Washington, DC Area – A great way to start the season is to take the whole family out to a Christmas tree farm and cut your own Christmas tree.
- Christmas Light Displays – Celebrate the holiday season with a drive or a stroll through spectacle of lights at a local park in Maryland. These Christmas light displays are beautiful and a great way to share the magic and joy of a winter wonderland. Thanksgiving weekend openings: Brookside, Watkins and Zoolights.
- ICE! – Christmas at the Gaylord National Resort – The award-winning holiday attraction is a winter wonderland created entirely of 5,000 BLOCKS of ice weighing 2 MILLION POUNDS! hand-sculpted by 40 international artisans and kept at a chilling nine degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mount Vernon Candlelight Tours – Martha Washington hosts an 18th-century Christmas with candlelit walks, fireside caroling, and festive décor during Mount Vernon by Candlelight.
- Maryland Christmas Show at the Frederick Fairgrounds – Franklin St., Frederick, Maryland (301) 898-5466. November 23-25, 2017. Enjoy the works of 500 artists and craftsmen offering fine art, pottery, furniture, quilts, jewelry, clothing, wreaths and garlands, toys and Christmas ornaments.
- Reston Town Center Holiday Parade – Friday, November 23, 2017. The Reston community kicks off the holiday season with a full day celebration including a holiday parade, visits with Santa, a Christmas tree lighting ceremony and more.
- Six Flags America – Holiday in the Park – The amusement park offers a holiday celebration featuring millions of glittering lights, holiday entertainment, seasonal treats, Santa’s Village, and many popular rides.
- Winterfest at Kings Dominion- Holiday traditions come to life at Kings Dominion’s WinterFest. Friends and families are treated to an ultimate holiday celebration as we magically transform our park into a winter wonderland – full of enchantment, cheer and classic family fun.
- LEGO DISCOVERY CENTER- ‘Tis the season for LEGOLAND Discovery Center Philadelphia’s Holiday Bricktacular – special holiday programming offered every weekend starting Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 24) through Dec. 30. The perfect activity for kids and families over winter break, Holiday Bricktacular offers meet & greets with LEGO Santa, holiday-themed builds and explorations through Winter Wonderland and The Elves Workshop.
November 15, 2018 at 11:51 pm
Thank you! Happy thanksgiving