Whether the weather is too hot or too cold or even too rainy; there is something every parent needs on hand and that’s a great indoor play option. I’m thrilled that there is a new place for families in Columbia, Maryland. Hyper Kids is an indoor playground that offers a chance for kids ages newborns and up, to get their energy out in a safe space. One thing that I think parents will appreciate is that Hyper Kidz has created a play space where kids of different age groups can all have fun under one roof. There are three sections specifically designed for infants, toddlers, pre-schoolers and children up to age 13. This article will highlight what’s to love about this year-round play option that challenges little to climb, run, think, interact, explore, and have fun.
PLAY FOR ALL AGES
The mini- zone offers a contained play area catering to younger little ones. It is the perfect space for infants and small toddlers ages 0-2. The ocean-themed soft play area is low to the ground and well padded. It is a warm and welcoming space in which parents can interact and play with little ones. It’s amazing that you can work on skills such as tummy time, walk and crawling with the wee ones.
The Kid Zone is a section designated to children ages 2-7; featuring a 2-story balloon house, motorized revolving rides, slides, a ball pit, spinning palms, a building block room, a giant light-up wall, various rides with moving parts, and an LED air slide. This area encourages parent-child bonding by providing a space to play together or keep a close eye on. It’s great that this area offers comfortable seating around the perimeter while providing open viability to the play equipment.
The Big Kid Zone is the largest play area which features a giant 4-story play pavilion for children 4 feet and over (or ages 3-13.) This labyrinth of fun offers colorful tube, wave and spiral slides, ball-blasters, obstacles, ramps, and over 20 interactive play activities hidden within.
THE POWER OF PLAY
What attract me to Hyper Kids was there belief in the power of play. Their are toys and interactive equipment designed to enhance social skills, children’s social skills, critical and analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, fine and gross motor skills, and social etiquette.
This place is more than just a indoor play structure. The equipment was intentionally designed to provide opportunities to stimulate the imagination and build upon a variety of different skills. Physical development of gross motor skills was something to expect; however, the extensive opportunity for imaginative play and sensory integration was truly a happy surprise. There were too many features to count that are incorporated through out the play ground. You will find puzzles, mazes, building blocks, pin impression stations, giant light brite wall, mechanical rides and even LED light up and digital image protections at different sections through out the play structure.
SURPRISES TO DISCOVER
- SENSORY INTEGRATION AND TEXTURES
- RIDE ALONGS
- LED DANCE FLOOR
- LIGHT WALL
- MOVING TUNNEL
- HANGING PALM TREE
- BALL BLASTER
- WATER BED
TIPS & TRICKS
- Pack Socks: Hyper Kidz is a socks only facility. You don’t have to wear special socks, however, I recommend socks with grips. If you forget socks, don’t worry you can purchase some when you check in.
- Save Money: Pricing ranges about $7-$16 when you visit and child’s age. Keep in mind infants 0-12 months are FREE with the purchase of a paid sibling. Free admission for up to two adults included in child’s pass. Look on their Facebook page for specials or certifikid for deals.
- Plan Play Time Wisely: Hyper Kidz is open Monday-Thursday 10 AM-8 PM, Friday and Saturday 10 AM-9 PM, and 11 AM-7 PM on Sunday. Be sure to call ahead of time or look on Facebook to avoid scheduled field trips. I recommend coming first thing in the morning or during nap time between 1-3 to avoid crowds. I also recommend filing out a waiver before hand so that you can get straight to playing.
- Refuel: There are beverages and food items available for purchase. Water and light snacks are allowed. However, outside food (lunch items) and drink aren’t permitted. This is a nut free facility so keep that in mind if pack a light snack.
- Accommodations: The bathrooms are designed for little ones with small sinks and low soap dispensers for easy reach. If you are a nursing mom or need a quiet space to escape to with your infant, there is a wonderful lactation room that is kept very clean. It is an individual room where you can lock the door for privacy. You will find a baby changing station, sink and rocking chair.
- Finding Hyper Kids: Locating Hyper Kidz can be confusing. The space is located directly behind Goldfish Swim School, between the EZ Storage and Lincoln Tech on Snowden River Parkway. Follow the signs around to the back of the shopping center.
- Safety First: You will love to hear that they clean the play center daily and keep the place at tip top shape. A check-in and check-out system has been put in place to ensure kids leave with who they came with. I also was happy to see staff placed through out the structure and sections to enforce safety rules and be there to help little ones should they need assistance.
9309 Snowden River Parkway
Columbia, Maryland 21046
Tel: (410) 844-6841
FRIDAY FAN CLUB GIVEAWAY
- LIKE the post.
- SHARE with friends to help spread the word.
- COMMENT or GIF your kids reaction to visiting Hyper Kidz.
- Don’t have Facebook to enter? That’s okay you can comment on this article and I will add your name to the drawing.
- Open to all local Playful Parent subscribers, must be a follower to win. One lucky family will be randomly drawn to win play passes to visit Hyper Kidz. Contest closes Thursday September 6, 2018 11:59 PM.
- Not Facebook affliate.
***Thank you Hyper Kidz for providing The Playful Parent with extra passes for the giveaway so that a family could be treated to a day of fun! The Playful Parent was not paid to write this article. All information are my own non-biased opinion. Photos are property of The Playful Parent and may not be used without permission.***