EARTH DAY ACTIVITIES & RESOURCES FOR KIDS
BY: Kristy C.
As you can tell by the cover photo, I’m raising little tree huggers, lol! Earth Day is important, we have to take care of our planet if we want it to be a safe place for our children and our children’s children to live. Earth Day is an annual holiday celebrated on April 22nd each year. This is a worldwide celebrated event created to demonstrate support for environmental protection. In this article you will find resources including activities, books and events for families that celebrate Earth Day.
SAVE THE EARTH EVERY DAY
Here is a list of ways to save the earth every day. Pick one from the checklist and complete with your family on earth day.
GROWING A GARDEN WITH VEGGIEPOPS!
While at Toy Fair I saw a booth called Veggiepops! and was intrigued. Like most kids, mine love candy. This lollipop shaped veggie planter by Bloomers Island seemed like the perfect tool for making gardening fun.
These adorable bloomers were created to help kids make the connection between garden to table and make healthier food choices. One of the biggest reasons having a home garden can be so valuable to families is because it can help end the struggle of getting kids to try new healthily foods. According to research when kids grow vegetables they eat them! This is just one of the many benefits. Gardening is a great tool for developing a sense of pride and ownership, promoting responsibility and practicing patience. Not to mention promotes getting outdoor and having fun.
Bloomers Island Planters have a huge selection of veggies and plants including: bush beans, swiss chard, summer squash, tomato, radish, carrots, daisies, black eyed Susan’s, sun flowers and more. They cost about $12 for a three pack. I love that they are color coded so that once they are planted in the ground you know what will bloom. To learn more or order Bloomers Island Veggie Pops visit there site: www.bloomers-edutainment.com
For earth day take a nature walk and enjoy a earth themed scavenger hunt! Here is a worksheet that you can print or use digitally on your smart phone while on your hunt.
EARTH DAY BOOK LIST
There are many great books that you get purchase or borrow from the library to help teach your children about earth day. A few of my favorites are:
- The Earth Book
- It’s Earth Day!
- Earth Day- Hooray!
- Recycling Is Fun
- Compost Stew
- Fancy Nancy – Everyday is Earth Day
- What If Everybody Did This?
- Earth Day Every Day
- I Can Save the Earth
- Bloomers Island -The Great Garden Party
EARTH DAY EVENTS FOR DMV & SOMD FAMILIES
- Bowie Green Expo – 2018, April 14, 2018 12:00 – 4:00 PM @ Kenhill Center, Bowie. Event Link
- GreenFest – April 21, 2018 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Howard Community College, Columbia. Event Link
- Anacostia River Clean-Up and Celebration – April 21, 2018 Clean up from 9am-noon, celebration from noon-2pm. Various venues. Event Link
- Earth Optimism Day – April 21, 2018 10am-2pm. The National Zoo, Washington, D.C. Event Link
- Earth Day Celebration – April 22, 2018 12:30-4:30pm. Leonardtown Square & Wharf, Leonardtown. Event Link
- Earth Day Tree Craft- April 26, 2018 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM, PD Brown Library, Waldorf, MD Event Link
Annapolis Earth Day Celebration- April 22, 2018 2:00 – 6:00 PM, Chesapeake Brewing Company, 114 West Street, Annapolis, MD Event Link
- Fairy & Gnome Festival- April 22, 2018 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Annemarie Gardens, Solomons Island. Event Link