Little signs that summer is over have already started to begin. Instead of trips to the beach, there’s car pooling to soccer practice. School is back in session and community pools have closed for the session. As the air grows crisper and the leaves turn color the beauty of autumn will soon surround us. Just because summer is over, doesn’t mean the fun is! Fall is the perfect season to get outdoors and enjoy some festive family fun. The brisk autumn weather is ideal for wandering through an orchard, getting lost in a corn maze or picking a pumpkin. Harvest time is the best time to get local produce, baked goods and visit a farm.
This article was put together in order to share the fantastic things to do, see and experience during Fall in the Maryland, Virginia and DC area. I hope to spotlight new fall activities all season long on my page. However, today’s article will feature a bucket list of the top five best farms rumor has it to visit in the area. My goal was to put together a list of the best of the best with under an hour and half drive for Southern Marylander’s. From September 17th-October 1st my family and I will visit the following awesome farms:
- Greenstreet Gardens- Greenstreet Gardens is a beautiful and serine farm located in Lothian Maryland. Green Street’s Fall Festival is open September 17th – October 30th every weekend from 10:30am-5pm. Green Street Gardens is family and community friendly and offers an array of fun events this season such as: Hero’s Weekend, Costume Parade and Grandparents weekend. Your little ones are sure to love the giant corn box, cow train and jumbo jumping pillow. (www.greenstreetgardens.com)
- Cox Farm- Cox Farm is celebrating its 42nd annual Fall Festival which runs daily from Sept. 24-Nov. 6, from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. With a map full of outdoor activities, goat village, and Cornundrum Cornfield Adventure you will need more than one visit to see and do everything. This farm features the awesome six lane wide, 150 foot long dinosaur of a slide. Be sure to check out their website for events and live entertainment schedule. (www.coxfarms.com)
- Summers Farm- Located in Frederick, Maryland Summers Farm opens September 24th this year with an old-fashioned Harvest Festival featuring a Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, more than 30 activities, live weekend music, apple blasting and finger-lickin’ good food. Check out their calendar for fireworks and events schedule. (www.summersfarm.com)
- Belvedere Plantation – Belvedere Plantation is a 645 acre heritage farm, built in the 1760s on the historic Rappahannock River near Fredericksburg, Virginia. You are sure to have hours of fun with attractions like a zipline, straw jump, trike track, pumpkin mountain slide, pedal carts, barrel train and jumping pillow. Check out their website for information on events like the Final Flashlight Maze and Pumpkin Pounding Event. (www.belvedereplantation.com)
- Gaver Farm- Located in Mt. Airy, Maryland, Gaver Farm is open daily for it’s 10th Annual Fall Fun Festival, Farm Market, pumpkin picking and pick your own apples. A few things that make this farm special are their Silo Chute, Apple Cider Donuts, free fudge tasting and Maryland Pride corn maze. Don’t miss out on fun events; First Responder Appreciation Week, Fall Festival, Apple Harvest Festival and more. (www.gaverfarm.com)
And as the great philosopher Linus (from the Peanuts) would say… “Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He’s gotta pick this one. He’s got to. I don’t see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there’s not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see.” I can’t tell you how excited our family is to visit each one of these farms, offer a sneak peak look and provide tips and tricks to help make your visit exciting, special and stress free.